01 October 2020

Cryptic


Cryptic

Three interwoven tongue-in-cheek themes.  One for Christmas (green), one for the frustrations caused by Eclogue puzzles past (orange) and one for our response (yellow).

Editorial Remarks

Slot 5 This proved difficult with a 71% success rate – not quite the SIMPLER ECLOGUE promised by the Nina. The African country TOGO lost 12 dots (with TOGS and TOGA representing popular alternatives). MISLABELS caught 5, OZZY 2 and A BOMBS 2 (H BOMBS) .See explanations

 Solvers' Comments

I thought this was simpler than the usual Eclogue. Then I saw why! Len Colgan

I liked the “Simpler Eclogue” Nina. Shame I didn’t notice it until I had finished!! Julie Leigh

Sadly my midirons are used for fairly short shots now.Roy Taylor

Took me a while to wake up to ENZED! Nea Storey

SIMPLER ECLOGUE as a NINA! I enjoyed this puzzle very much. Thank you. Some great clues. Ann Millard

Very enjoyable. Ulla Axelsen

I like the way Aussies and Kiwis are linked in bottom right! Is that a prophecy about COVID’s end, or am I clutching at straws? Jenny Madden

SANTA and ENZED were fun. Kathy Horadam

Indeed it was. Andrew Patterson

“OLD GLORY” flying in St. Petersburg ? Not even today! [Only in Florida Adj] Max Roddick

Challenging puzzle fingers crossed! Joan Smith

Fascinating clues and challenging answers. Lynn Jarman

Liked ENZED and IBEXES in particular Michael McCabe

Simpler Eclogue? Cheryl Wilcox

Couldn’t be simpler, Eclogue! David Parsons

Well, perhaps it was a “SIMPLER ECLOGUE”? Time will tell. Richard Skinner

Thankyou for some interesting clues. Jean Evans

Definitely a ‘simpler Eclogue’ - it must have been, because I solved it without resorting to 7 down. KathHarper

It was with not a little trepidation that I embarked on this puzzle, having attempted Eclogue’s previous offerings (and the September mind bender in the 3D puzzles). The “simpler” offering was much appreciated! Feel free to continue in this vein. I gave STARS AND STRIPES my COTM vote. Andrew Miles

As someone pointed out to me, this was a “SIMPLER ECLOGUE” but still a challenging puzzle! Bev Cockburn

A NINA of “Simpler Eclogue”! Marian Procter

‘Banner over St Petersburg’ was a great clue. Very hard to choose COTM. Anastasia Webster-Hawes

Great to have the 15-letter solutions as the scaffold. Didn’t understand 17ac though [Ra the god and NI the metal – Adj]. Gabriel Fuller


No comments: