01 June 2019

7,22,11

A new outlet has been found for some of Eclogue's Efforts in the form of the Australian Crossword Club's monthly magazine, Crozworld.

Our first enterprise here is a puzzle entitled 7,22,11 (in reference to those entries in the completed puzzle) and appears in the May edition of the magazine in Slot 5 of the presented order.  The allocation of the slot number is indicative of the puzzle's perceived level of difficulty, with slots 6 and 7 being the toughest.

Preamble

The otherwise undefined, 7,22,11 and 24,5 provide two lines to a song (in ODQ), features of which appear in other answers.


A CIGARETTE that bears a LIPSTICK’s TRACES
An AIRLINE TICKET to ROMANTIC PLACES
And still my heart has wings
THESE FOOLISH THINGS
REMIND ME OF YOU

Holt Marvell (Eric Maschwitz) 1935

Stats and Comments


Entries = 88
Correct = 73
Success% = 83
 
Adjudicator’s comments
 
Slot 5: AIRPOCKET caught a few who entered AIRROCKET. Excellent, AI, power P and ROCKET are needed to provide the answer. Not many other errors, AYURVEDA is a new one to me, how on earth can I work that into conversation? ERAB (ERAS) and EZAM (EXAM) look like failures to check, don't forget to give your entry a final once-over before you fire it off.
 
COTM: An excellent response, we had 34 nominations for 17 clues, spread over all five slots. PERMANENT WAVE in Slot 1 and CATSUITS in Slot 5 received 4 votes each, but the stand-out winner was HOLIDAY in Slot 3, with 8 votes. A great clue, would it were that easy. Congratulations Lexi Conner.
 
Solver comments
 
May 5-2019: 7,22,11 by Eclogue (Eddie Looby & Keith Williams)
• Tougher than the slot 7 for me this month. Being familiar with Eclogue via other sources over the past few years, I am not surprised that it was tough to complete. A very well composed puzzle. JUBILEES was the last one in, and I suspect it will be for several others. Ian Thompson
• These foolish things were well worth the time and effort it took to discover them. My favourite clue was the one for WHITES. Brian Tickle
• Thank you for bringing back lovely memories of my flapper days! Was singing it ad nauseam. Love Michael BublĂ©'s version! Eileen O’Brien
• Got the lines from the anagrams and discovered the sad song. I thought WHITES COTM. Lot of good clues. Roy Taylor
• These foolish things! Michael Kennedy
• Phew! I feel I may be re-submitting some clues. They fit,but are they quite right? Max Roddick
• burn = cigarette? Should it be smoke? [Chambers has“burn” as a smoke and a cigarette (slang) – Adj] Mike Potts
• Foolish? Could have fooled me! Kath Harper
• Some great clues. I especially liked CATSUITS and COYOTE. Thank you! Ann Millard
• Unsure of 10ac. Clue for CATSUITS was very good. Anne Simons
• A very enjoyable solve despite not knowing the song even though it has been sung by some very famous singers.Ulla Axelsen
• A lot to think about. Liked AIRLINE, ASBESTOS, MOTOR, and loved CATSUITS! Max Roddick
• 4: Is 'response' necessary? George Rolfe
• I loved the song lines and couldn't stop singing the song after I found it! Robyn McKenzie
• A Golden Oldie! Richard Skinner
• Thank you Eclogue ... a good themed puzzle. Robyn Wimbush
• These foolish things remind me of you. Margaret Steinberger
• What an interesting concept with some very difficult clues.At first I thought all the answers may have been words from 'These Foolish Things' but soon discovered this was not the case. I'm still wondering what ODQ stands for. [Oxford Dictionary of Quotations – Adj] Lynn Jarman
• A lovely old song in a lovely puzzle. Doreen Jones

No comments: